Key Stage 3
11-14 Curriculum Overview
What does the Curriculum empower our students to achieve?
The curriculum is designed to help students realise:
- Confidence through personal and spiritual development
- Relevant opportunities, experiences and responsibilities
- To empower students to develop as individuals
- To empower students to make contributions to society
- To empower students to recognise success
LEARNING FOR LIFE & WORK
What areas of learning for life and future work / training do we develop through the current curriculum?
- Personal Development
- Local and Global Citizenship
- Financial Capability
- Home Economics
What are the fundamental components that underpin skills and knowledge across the curriculum?
- Personal understanding
- Mutual understanding
- Personal health
- Moral character
- Spiritual awareness
- Cultural understanding
- Media awareness
- Equality and diversity
- Education for sustainable development
CROSS-CURRICULAR SKILLS & THINKING SKILLS
What cross-curricular skills do we value?
What range of thinking skills are used to develop learning?
Ensuring learning difficulties and disabilities are matched to thinking skills.
- Using Numeracy
- Using ICT
- Working with others
Students are given opportunities to learn how to:
- Define a problem, enquire and predict outcomes
- Understand cause & effect
- Make connections, investigate, sort and classify, sequence and summarise
- Memorise and recall, compare and contrast, imagine, modify and make deductions
- Draw inferences, reason, explain, evaluate and create
AREAS OF LEARNING
Suites / topics / opportunities etc.
- Literacy & English (English, Literacy)
- Numeracy & Maths (Maths, Numeracy)
- Science & Technology (Science, ICT, CDT, Food Technology, Horticulture)
- The Arts (Art & Design, Music, Dance, Drama, Geography, History)
- MFL (French)
- Physical Education (PE, Swimming)
- Religions & Culture (RE, Citizenship, Sex/ Relationships Education)
- Complimentary activities: where appropriate -physiotherapy, warm-water swimming, occupational therapy and equine therapy
How are students engaged and their learning optimized to help with real-world challenges?
- Investigation & problem solving
- Links to KS4
- Integrated skills
- Active and practical/hands-on
- Offers choice
- Supportive environment
- Culturally diverse
- Positive reinforcement
- On-going reflection
ASSESSMENT FOR LEARNING
How does assessment aid the students’ learning?
Through assessment in 11-14 we:
- Build an open relationship between the students and teachers/TAs
- Have clear learning intentions shared with students
- Share and negotiate success criteria
- Advise on what to improve and how to improve it
- Celebrate success against agreed success criteria
- Encourage peer and self-evaluation of learning
ATTITUDES & DISPOSITIONS
What attitudes to learning and dispositions are clearly evident across the 11-14 Curriculum?
- Compassion – Achievement – Respect - Responsibility
- A right to be heard
- Concern for others
- Sharing worries
- Understanding personalities
- Commitment & determination
- Community spirit
- Self-belief & optimism
- Protective behaviours