What is the Local Offer?
Northamptonshire County Council are required to publish information about services available for children and young people (aged 0-25) with special educational needs and disabilities. This is called The Local Offer.
Northamptonshire’s Local Offer website is at the next stage of development, following user consultation.
Some services can already be found using the Children and Families Service Finder.
If you are unable to find what you need please contact us for help on 0300 126 1000 or emailLocalOffer@northamptonshire.gov.uk.
What will The Local Offer do?
- improve choice and transparency for families
- help professionals to understand the range of services and provision available locally
- improve joint commissioning arrangements for services by setting out in a single place what is available locally
We will work together with children and young people, parents and carers and with local services, including the voluntary and community sector, to develop our offer and keep it under review. If you would like to be involved then please contact us.
What will the Local Offer cover?
- special educational provision
- health provision
- social care provision
- other educational provision
- training provision
- arrangements for children and young people to travel to schools, colleges and early years education
- Department for Education regulations (PDF format 210KB)
- NCC Principles of the Local Offer (Word format 24KB)
- SEND Code of Practice (PDF format 1948KB)
- Council for Disabled Children: A guide to the Local Offer (PDF Format 170KB)
- Local Offer Leaflet (PDF Format 152KB)
- Special educational needs and disabilities guide for parents and carers (PDF Format 484KB)
- Final Transition Plan Sept 2014 (PDF Format 817 KB)
- Parents Guide to SEND in Northants (PDF Document 124KB)
How is the Local Offer developed?
Northamptonshire was a Pathfinder authority testing out the draft proposals for The Local Offer.
The legislation has now passed through Parliament and will be effective from 1st September 2014.
What has happened so far?
Participation and feedback
The Local Offer has been developed with those who will use it and their views are vital to its success.
We have a group of parents who we ask for comments and suggestions from, usually by email.
Consultation so far
Northamptonshire Parent Forum held consultations with parents, and Katharine Parker Associated Ltd were appointed to manage the process.
The results of the consultations can be downloaded here:
- Northants Local Offer Engagement Report - April 2013 (PDF format 765KB)
- Northants Local Offer Engagement Report - June 2013 (PDF format 2325KB)
Young people were interviewed on what they would like to see and how they would like to access it.
They specified that:
- they would expect to use social media such as Twitter and Facebook
- they wanted information on activities
- they also expect their education settings to know lots about their needs
Evaluation of the SEND pathfinder programme can be viewed here:
Local Offer Team
A Local Offer Team has been appointed and is now in post as a direct result of the consultation with users. They expressed this as something they thought really important.
What happens next?
The Local Offer website is being developed linking the legislation and the requirements of the consultation group.
This will be live after testing by parents and users in the participation groups.
Shooting Stars are now part of the consultation group and are asked to comment at each stage.
All users of The Local Offer will be encouraged to participate in future developments.
How can I get involved?
If you would like to participate in developing the offer further please contact The Local Offer team to get involved.
How to contact The Local Offer Team
Will the Local Offer change?
Initially The Local Offer focuses on services provided directly or commissioned by the local authority.
Search for services
When the website is available it will have a search function that will enable users to look for detailed provision including social and leisure activities, or voluntary sector organisations.
Ongoing feedback and consultation
Feedback and consultation will become a formal part of the process and users will be asked to contribute by using
- online surveys
- paper questionnaires
- verbal recordings
Documents and frequently asked questions can be made available in Easy Read format.
Health Authority Consultation
The information that is available on The Local Offer will be audited and checked annually and there will be a simple method to report any faults.
Long term, a facility to quality assure the services and provisions will be built into The Local Offer.
Publicity and promotion
Parents and users had said that they thought that there should be a booklet and leaflets available about The Local Offer and this will be developed once the website is live.