SEND Policy and Procedures
This defines SEN as; “A student or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.”
A student of compulsory school ;age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:
- Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
- Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream colleges or mainstream post-16 institutions.
Many children and young people who have SEN may have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 — that is “…a physical or mental impairment which has a long term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities”.
Isebrook ;provides special educational provision for students who require “Special educational provision, that is provision different from or additional to that normally available to students of the same age” (Code of Practice, July 2014).
The school provides for students whose special educational needs broadly fall into the four areas of educational need:
- Communication and interaction
- Cognition and learning
- Social, emotional and mental health difficulties
- Sensory and/or physical needs
Our full SEND Policy is ;below
What is the Local Offer?
- The Children and Families Bill became law from September 2014. From this date, Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with SEND aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.
- The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.
- The Local Offer is available at https://www3.northamptonshire.gov.uk/councilservices/children-families-education/SEND/local-offer